WEAPONS CHARGES ATTORNEYS IN BOSTON
Gun Charges Defense
Massachusetts has some of the strictest gun control laws in the United States. Because of this, people facing gun charges here need to have an experienced criminal defense lawyer to guide them through the criminal justice system and minimize the penalties they face if convicted.
Former prosecutors who have handled gun cases from both sides
At the Denner Criminal Defense Group, our criminal defense attorneys are known for their detailed knowledge of state and federal gun control statutes. We are also known as lawyers who can identify weaknesses in the prosecution’s case. Many of our lawyers are former prosecutors themselves; this allows our firm to make plea bargains and alternative sentencing proposals that will be accepted by the prosecution.
If you are facing any type of weapons charge, contact the Denner Criminal Defense Group at our office in Boston (617-500-4398) or toll-free at 866-370-5422.
Specifics of the Massachusetts gun law
The Massachusetts gun law, enacted in June of 1998, states that
- License applicants must complete a firearms or hunting safety course
- Firearms must be stored in a locked container or have a locking device
- It is illegal to possess stolen guns, junk guns or certain types of assault weapons
- Firearms identification cards (FIDs) must be renewed every four years
- Those confined involuntarily to a state mental institution cannot possess firearms
- No one under 21 may have a Class A or B firearms license
- No one convicted of a felony or misdemeanor with a sentence of two or more years in prison may possess a firearm
- No one under treatment for drug or alcohol addiction may have a weapon unless five years have elapsed since release from treatment
- It is illegal to conceal or transport a loaded weapon without a Class A firearms license
In addition to state laws such as these, there are federal regulations that further affect gun possession, especially in the arena of immigration and domestic violence. Each state is different, and the intersection of state and federal gun control laws is complex.
Focusing on constitutional issues
At the Denner Criminal Defense Group, our attorneys tailor your defense to the specific circumstances. We focus on constitutional issues such as search and seizure. We use our experts and investigators to determine whether illegalities occurred in the process of making an arrest on weapons charges. We move to suppress evidence in cases where that evidence was incorrectly obtained. When the charge is commission of a felony while in possession of a weapon, our attorneys have successfully argued that the original felony conviction was improper, eliminating grounds for the gun charge.
With you from the start of your case
Our law firm is committed to providing a strong defense at every stage of the proceedings against you. We represent clients from initial investigation to post-conviction appeals and at every other step, including:
- Initial investigation
- Grand jury indictment
- Bail hearing
- Plea negotiations
- Pre-sentencing investigation and reports
- Post-conviction appeals, writs and motions
- Jail or prison
A record of accomplishment in weapons violations cases
If you have been charged with or are being investigated for violating state or federal gun control laws, consult with attorneys who have a reputation for success with cases such as yours.
Contact the Denner Criminal Defense Group at our office in Boston (617-500-4398) or fill out our online contact form.
We are available to respond to emergencies at all times, including evenings and weekends. Staff can accommodate clients speaking Spanish, Portuguese, Russian and some Southeast Asian languages. We offer translators for any other languages.