Hon. Joseph A. Pellegrino (Ret.)
Hon. Joseph A. Pellegrino (Ret.)
Judge Joseph A. Pellegrino, Retired Justice of the Massachusetts Trial Courts, with Denner Pellegrino, LLP, Counselors At Law. He brings to the firm over 40 years of legal experience as both an attorney for 18 years and a respected jurist for over 23 years. His love of the law and adherence to its rules are demonstrated in his record as a jurist. As a former Chief of the western Massachusetts Office of the Attorney General of Massachusetts, Judge Pellegrino represented over 20 different state agencies in civil litigation in the following areas: tort defense, collection, contract, eminent domain, consumer law, governmental law, environmental law, and civil rights law, as well as criminal prosecution.
His service under two Attorney Generals was recognized with a Distinguished Service Award. Judge Pellegrino also served as a Special Prosecutor for the City of Springfield, as adjunct faculty for Business Law and Criminal Procedure at Holyoke Community College and as guest lecturer at other area colleges and universities.
As a first Justice, he implemented policies and procedures that improved the operation of the courts, served as an advocate for change that would enhance the juvenile justice system, and developed and implemented many programs for juveniles.
Judge Pellegrino has received numerous awards and been recognized for exceptional service by state, city, and private agencies. His presentations and writings include Family Law Advocacy, Substance Abuse and the Courts, Adolescent Adoption, Ethical Dilemmas in Nursing, Estate Planning and Taxation, Legal Considerations in Business Formation, Bench-Press Relations, Timing of Trials, Western Massachusetts Pro Bono Referral System, Care and Protection, Fighting Crime, Weapons in the Classroom, Community Mediation, and Care and Protection for Children.
Judge Pellegrino's perspective in the practice of law reflects his lifelong perspectives in his relations with others, wherein he believes that our lives are interconnected. Every client's problems deserve consideration for solutions. And when their solution is within his domain, he will work tirelessly for the client. He states, I am a strong adherent to the principle that everyone has the inalienable right to live peacefully in a free, unfettered society and to that end I will work diligently to right any injustices and borrowing partially from the scriptures on behalf of my clients who have put their faith in me I will fight the fight I will run the race until the finish line is crossed.
Judge Pellegrino received a B.A. in 1958 from Boston College cum laude, a J.D. in 1962 from New England School of Law, and an LLM in Taxation in 1978 from Boston University School of Law. He is a member of the Massachusetts Bar Association, Hampden County Bar Association, and the Federal District Court for District of Massachusetts.
Mr. Pellegrino can be reached 24-hours daily, 7 days per week at (413) 746-4400 to address your legal problems whatever, and wherever, they may be.
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts
- Boston University School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts
- LL.M. - 1978
- Major: Taxation
- New England School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts
- J.D. - 1962
- Boston College, Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts
- B.A. (Cum Laude) - May, 1958
- Major: History
- Minor: Philosophy
- Business Law and Criminal Law, Holyoke Community College
- Consumer Protection, University of Massachusetts
- Taxation, Estate Planning, Evidence, Springfield Area Colleges
- Constitutional Law, Family Law and Small Business, University of Massachusetts
- Developed Programs in Alcohol Education, Community Service, Dispute Resolution and Shoplifting Prevention, Massachusetts Trial Court, Juvenile Division
Honors and Awards
- Distinguished Service Award - Massachusetts Attorney General
- Appreciation: Civitan Club, Lions Club, and AFL-CIO for Pioneer Valley
- William Pynchon Chapter of the American Business Women's Club Award
- Court Appointed Special Advocate Program (CASA) Award
- Man of the Year, Springfield UNICO - 1989
- Springfield Council for Children Advocate of the Year Award
- Justinian Law Society of Massachusetts Award
- Spirit of Springfield "I am an American" Service Award
- Recognition by: Massachusetts Governor, Massachusetts Governors Council, Massachusetts Senate and Massachusetts House of Representatives
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Massachusetts Bar Association, Member
- Hampden County Bar Association, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Western Massachusetts Office of the Attorney General of Massachusetts, Chief
- City of Springfield, Special Prosecutor
- Massachusetts Trial Courts, Justice, 1981 - 2004